You are cordially invited to our 2nd Residential Renewables Open House
Saturday July 24th from 1–5 pm
231 Parkview Drive, Rochester, NY 14625
SHOWCASING THE UNIFICATION OF:
- Home Based Self-Reliance
- Residential Renewables
- Industrial Renewables
- Buildout Sustainable Neighborhoods
- With Net Zero Energy and Zero Waste Homes
This year it will be free form in that we’ll have multiple stations set up with experts that will both present and engage you in conversation. Arrive when you wish, go to the stations that interest you and join in. Or just walk around on your own and explore, engage and get energized.
Where could this lead?
“Self-Sustaining Neighborhood that Produces Its Own Power and Food”
1. An RSVP would be much appreciated to email@example.com
2. Please park on the same side of the road as our home facing the right way.
3. Please fill out and stick on a name tag as that makes it friendlier.
4. Soft drinks, water, wine and cheese will be provided at no charge.
5. We ask everyone to make this a day devoid of politics.
Free Drinks & Snacks!!! Rain or Shine Fun 🙂
“To Create Light, We Must Face the Darkness, Head On, Then Light Our Own Fire!” - Stephen Healey
This year we will be featuring:
• Solar/Geothermal- Geotherm Inc., Jesse Cook, www.geothermny.com
• Energy Audits / Net Zero Homes- Hughesco of Rochester, Energy Audits, Seth Plyter, www.buffalo-energy.com
• Farm Based Renewables Pioneer + Organic Beef Producer- Rick VanHoute
• Cisterns- Stephen Mull
• Predator Proof Cage Construction- Matt Hourihan / Anthony Sapere
• Square Foot Garden- Barb Mull
• Wood Stove/Firewood Stock- Kevin Tobey
• Honey Bees- Sabatino Smith
• Vermiculture Compost- Organix – Jacob Fox
• Zero Waste - Impact Earth- Robert Putney, Elizabeth Carey www.impactearthinc.org
• BioChar- Finger Lakes BioChar- Kathleen Draper, Andy Wells http://fingerlakesbiochar.com/
• AquaPonics- Steve Healey
For greater context and further detail read on…
We’ll give you a “Show and Tell” at each station about all we’ve built since 2000 including our solar array, geothermal heating – cooling – supplemental hot water system, cisterns to collect rain water, highly zoned soaker - irrigation system, square foot garden, vertical gardens, perennial [vegetable – fruit] garden, high efficiency wood burning stove, 2 year firewood stock, distiller – carbon filter for drinking water, compost bin, honey bees, deep freezer for ice box back-up for fridge, grid-down mini-market, deer stand, etc.
We’ll also address all we’re working towards including battery storage so when the grid goes down my family isn’t, aquaponics, root cellar, vermiculture, biochar, next level cistern water purification, expanded solar array, electric car, solar thermal hot water, etc.
To whet your appetite check out these shots from last year’s event: Pics.
For some background context we purchased our home in 2000 when our son Stephen was 2 years old and I gradually developed a threefold vision for our property and built it, roughly in this sequence:
1. A child’s paradise.
2. A garden and sculpture sanctuary.
3. An ever-more self-reliant homestead.
I mention this because you will see it all running through our little homestead, but the focus of this event is the third. Stephen is now 19 and just finished his first year at St. Bonaventure. His got a double major in Party 101 and Wise Ass 102. So I’m seeking ways to repurpose the Child’s Paradise part to serve underprivileged children. I’d welcome your ideas.
For clarity’s sake the objectives of this event are to:
1. Have fun, be informative and informal.
2. Mutually brainstorm new ideas to drive to higher levels of self-reliance on ½ a suburban acre.
3. Promote Geotherm’s current offerings of solar electric, geothermal heating – cooling – supplemental
hot water and battery storage for true energy
4. Independence and to do so in a relaxed non-commercial manner.
5. Begin to assess market interest for additional offerings in the Residential Renewables sector for Geotherm
to develop next.
6. Promote all the other presenters who have taken the time to be present.
So come with a note pad, let’s get busy brainstorming and have some fun while we do!
Want a preview!? Check this out: http://www.sjhealey.com/cistern